Personification is giving human qualities, feelings, action, or characteristics to inanimate (non-living) objects.
For example: The window winked at me. The verb, wink, is a human action. A window is an inaminate object. Therefore, we have a good example of personification.
Poetry Worksheet #3
On your own paper, write the object being personified and the meaning of the personification.
1. The wind sang her mournful song through the falling leaves.
2. The microwave timer told me it was time to turn my TV dinner.
3. The video camera observed the whole scene.
4. The strawberries seemed to sing, "Eat me first!"
5. The rain kissed my cheeks as it fell.
6. The daffodils nodded their yellow heads at the walkers.
7. The water beckoned invitingly to the hot swimmers.
8. The snow whispered as it fell to the ground during the early morning hours.
9. The china danced on the shelves during the earthquake.
10. The car engine coughed and sputtered when it started during the blizzard.
Teacher's Lesson Plan using this student lesson
Back to the nonjava homepage