Thomas Intermediate School
Animal Classification Activity
Draw five shapes in this box. Look for similar characteristics to help you group the shapes. Put them in groups. Write your classification system for grouping the items.
Record the answers to the following questions. Look in the three sites on the first activity page to find the answers.
- Who first came up with a system of identifying animals by classifying them into groups?
- List the two main groups of animals.
- List the five classifications of vertebrates.
- Look at the classification of the gray wolf. List his Kingdom ______________________, Phylum ____________________, Order ______________________, Genus ________________, and Species ___________________________.
Record the answers to the Animal Safari here.
- Who first invented a classification system for animals?
- Is a terrapin a reptile or an amphibian?
- Do beetles have backbones?
- What do you study if you are a herpetologist?
- List three animals the bald eagle considers prey.
- What does a mother dolphin feed her calf?
- What two factors threaten the extinction of bald eagles?
- How do frogs "drink" water?
- How many eyes do jumping spiders have?
- What do we call a male alligator?
- Does an ornithologist study hummingbirds?
- Are fish warm-blooded or cold-blooded?
- Did hunters want the narwhal's tusk or eggs?
Return to the Animal Classification Page.
Return to the Animal Safari.
Return to the Thomas Intermediate School Homepage.