THE RED LANTERN AWARD
Heather , Aubrie , Rachel
Mrs. Ward's 5th grade class
At the beginning of the race, as a joke, the town’s
people would hang a widow’s or red lantern outside their door. This
ended up as a tradition for safe passage of the mushers. If one musher
would come into camp and people didn’t turn off the lantern, he knew he
was not the last to come in. At the end of the race, the last musher to
come in would be given kerosene lantern [or widow’s lantern] that was used
during the race.
1) The lantern means danger ahead. true
2) People will give you a lantern if you came in last after the race.
3) The award has two names. true
4) The names are the Northern and Southern lights. true
5) The sides of the lantern are red making a red glow.
BACK TO PROJECT FRONT PAGE